Important Updates and School Year 20-21 Calendar
August 7, 2020
I hope this message finds everyone doing well.
I have some important news to share.
- The 2020-2021 School Year Calendar has been modified again, due to decisions at the State level. Students will start later. First day for grades 1-12 is Sept. 15th. First day for PreK and K is September 21st.
- The District Comprehensive Plan for reopening schools is attached for your review. It reflects what has already been shared (July 22nd), the Webster Public Schools will start with a Remote learning model and reassess the timing for a transition into a Hybrid model.
School Year Calendar Changes:
The Commissioner of Education has reduced the time on learning requirements for all students in Massachusetts from 180 to 170 school days and signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the teachers unions across the state to ensure that teachers have 10 days of professional development and training before students start the year.
The important changes are noted below:
- First day of school for grades 1-12 is September 15th.
- First day of school for Pre-K and K is September 21st.
- All previous Wednesday 1/2 days (Oct.7th, Dec.2nd, Feb.3rd, Mar. 3rd, Apr.7th, May 5th) have become FULL days of learning, because these Wednesday 1/2 days have been moved to Friday 1/2 days (now, Oct. 9th, Dec.4th, Feb. 5th, Mar.5th, Apr.9th,May 7th).
- No school for students on December 21st -23rd and March 18th, 19th as these have become professional development planning days for teachers.
- Virtual Open Houses planned (PAE Sept.22nd, WMS Sept. 23rd, and BHS Sept 24th )
- Virtual Parent Conferences planned (Nov. 10th, and November 11th).
- IF the Commissioner of Education supports a waiver on time on learning (specifically needed for middle and high school), then all FRIDAYs will become ½ days of school for students and ½ days of planning for teachers. IF the Commissioner does not approve the waiver, then the approved school year calendar will be followed.
District Comprehensive Plan:
Please take the time to read the Comprehensive District Plan that is attached.
As we continue to work diligently planning for the safe return of students and staff, we need your help. It is very important that ALL families return the recently mailed survey in the self-addressed return envelope provided as soon as possible. We need this information to accurately set up the groupings of students for the Hybrid model, to determine who needs internet access, and find out who may be opting out of busing, etc.
We anticipate having much more information for families to share once the logistics associated with establishing safe learning environments during this global health pandemic are established and structured across our district.
As always, we continue to appreciate your support with keeping your child/children engaged in positive learning activities at home during the summer months. Please take a look at our Tumble Books on our website https://www.webster-schools.org/domain/70 (under the Parent Tab) to expand your reading options at home.
Sending my best to all our students and families,